We have found evidence of a candidal (yeast) infection in our mouth. Everyone has east in their mouth, but it can overgrow under certain conditions. Below are some suggestions to help alleviate/prevent such infections.
- Rinse 2-3 times per da with a tablespoon of the Nystatin rinse. Rinse for 1-2 minutes and spit or swallow. Avoid eating and drinking immediately after rinsing.
- Remove our denture(s) prior to rinsing. Do not drink directly from the bottle or bottle cap; pour into a separate cup to avoid contamination of the bottle.
- Soak your denture(s) in a mixture of a splash of Nystatin rinse with enough water to cover the prostheses. Soak denture(s) in this mixture whenever they are not in your mouth.
- Brush the denture(s) well before placing back in your mouth, then soak your toothbrush in a splash of Nystatin and water for several minutes then rinse brush.
- Rinse with Nystatin before placing denture(s) back in your mouth.
- Use on corners of mouth 3-4 times per day as needed to relieve symptoms (cracking, bleeding, soreness, etc.).
Tips to Avoid Candidal Overgrowth
- Always remove denture(s) at night or for at least 4-6 hours during the day.
- Keep denture(s) brushed and cleaned.
- Brush the roof of your mouth, tongue, and gums with a soft toothbrush.
- Keep yearly recalls to have your denture(s) evaluated for proper fit and to have oral tissues evaluated for disease.