Instructions Following Extraction
- Rest for the remainder of the day following your extraction. Remember no heavy lifting or bending and standing. Take it easy.
- No forceful spitting. You may rinse but just let the water run out of your mouth into the sink.
- No drinking through a straw.
- No smoking for the rest of the day.
- Forceful spitting, drinking through a straw, smoking, or anything that can create suction in your mouth can remove the clot or cause a “dry socket” which can be very painful.
- Do eat something but if you are still numb be careful chewing as you may bite your tongue, jaw, or lip. Soup is great to eat but don’t make it too hot. It is best to have something on your stomach so you will not become nauseous.
- If a denture or partial was placed after the extraction it will act as a bandage. You do not need to place a bandage. You do not need to place gauze under the denture or partial.
- You will see some oozing of blood after the denture or partial is removed. This is ok. Often blood will mix with your saliva and appear to be bleeding more than it actually is.
- Wear your denture or partial for the rest of the day and while you sleep tonight. Only remove it to clean/rinse it. Wearing it overnight will help to reduce swelling at the extraction site.
- You may sleep without your denture or partial starting tomorrow night.
- If you do not have a denture or partial, gauze will be placed over the extraction site when you leave. Bite firmly to stanch any blood flow. You will be given extra gauze to take home with you. As the gauze becomes saturated replace it with 2 of the extra gauze. Fold both gauze pads in half and then fold it into half again. Place the gauze over the extraction site and bite firmly. Hold until the bleeding subsides. Change the gauze every 30 minutes or until the bleeding stops. It is normal to see slight oozing of blood after the gauze is removed.
- If the gauze continues to be saturated with blood after 2 hours or if you have any concerns, please call the office at 336-274-5400.